Do’s And Don’ts Of A Graduation Speech
Graduation is a time that most people await eagerly and rightly so because that’s the time you step out in the real world! A graduation speech is an important part of the whole experience of graduating. And if you have been chosen to deliver your class’s graduation speech, then it is an experience like never before; something that you would never forget.
So here are some do’s and don’ts for delivering an astounding graduation speech.
- Brainstorm, brainstorm and brainstorm a bit more! While penning down the speech, think about the memories and what graduating from this school meant to you.
- Develop and pen down original ideas! Stress more on your experience and what you learned from this experience.
- Make your class feel like they are a part of the speech too! Talk about your whole class; focus on them equally.
- Humor goes a long way in a speech! So add some humor in your graduation speech.
- Remember KISS! Not literally, but Keep it Short and Simple! No one likes a long speech and the initial charm of it wears down soon enough.
- Practice as much as possible. A lot of people videotape these speeches and it’s a once in a lifetime thing, so make sure not to screw up.
- Do not use clichés! Develop new and original material because there is no point putting your audience to sleep by using clichés.
- Do not keep on just talking about your achievements! As much as you might think this speech is about you, but it’s about the whole class. So make them feel included.
- Structure your speech well so that you don’t keep on wavering around different topics. And structuring requires putting in time!
- Do not speak fast while delivering your speech! Deliver your speech a bit slow compared to how normally you would speak.
- And last, don’t feel fidgety or nervous! Stay calm, composed and confident and deliver your speech!