Office 365 is Becoming Microsoft 365
Last updated on April 2nd, 2020
On March 30, 2020 Microsoft announced that Office 365 is becoming Microsoft 365. This essentially means that Microsoft will be changing the brand name for the majority of its Office 365 products to Microsoft 365. There are a number of reasons why Microsoft is making this change. You can learn about the new changes from the details mentioned below.
When is Office 365 becoming Microsoft 365?
Why is Office 365 becoming Microsoft 365?
According to Microsoft, as the Office 365 brand evolves to include artificial intelligence (AI) rich templates and content, as well as a range of other features for cloud integration, family safety, teams, and features for PowerPoint presenters and designers and financial management, it needs to integrate Office with the Microsoft brand name. Microsoft has also announced two new experiences that are to be rolled out shortly. These include new features of Microsoft Teams and a new Microsoft Family Safety app.
Microsoft is also introducing major changes to the Microsoft Editor including, Similarity Check feature for citations, Rewrite Suggestions and integration of Editor in Outlook.com, Outlook on the web. This integration will also be available via extension in web browsers including, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.
This integration doesn’t affect the way you use Microsoft Office products, you can continue using PowerPoint to create presentations or edit the free PowerPoint templates that we publish periodically on FPPT.com site.
What Would be the new Brand Names for Office 365 Subscriptions?
Microsoft has also launched Microsoft 365 Personal and Family subscriptions which will become available by April 21st. Other than this consumer offering, below is a list of the new product names for Office 365 subscriptions:
- Office 365 Business Essentials will be called Microsoft 365 Business Basic
- Office 365 Business Premium will be called Microsoft 365 Business Standard
- Microsoft 365 Business will now be known as Microsoft 365 Business Premium
- Office 365 Business will now be known as Microsoft 365 Apps for Business
- Office 365 Pro Plus will now be known as Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise
Are there any Subscriptions which will Continue to be Called Office 365?
There are a few Office 365 subscriptions that at least for now will continue to retain the Office 365 brand name. A list of these subscriptions is as follows:
- Office 365 for Enterprise: Office 365 E1, E3 and E5
- Office 365 for Firstline Workers: Office 365 F1
- Office 365 for Education: Office 365 A1, A3 and A5
- Office 365 for Government: Office 365 G1, G3 and G5
You can find out about the updates, changes and new features associated with Microsoft 365 from the official announcement by the Corporate Vice President for Microsoft 365, Jared Spataro.