Major Reasons For Failure Of PowerPoint Presentations
A great poet once said, “It is not an idea but its conceptualization that makes the real difference”. So irrespective of the subject of your presentation, what really matters is how creatively you deliver it.
One thing rests assured that ranging from corporate honchos to university graduates, only the speaker knows the actual significance of his/her presentation. Further, a large input goes into execution of a presentation so, even the slightest of mistake can lead to its failure.
Below listed are major reasons for failure of PowerPoint Presentations:
- Lack of Presentation Skills: Merely bombarding your listeners with facts and figures cannot be termed as a presentation. You need to possess good communication skills, flexible body language and demonstrate your ideas as if you are telling a story
- Making it Too Formal: Being excessively formal often drives your presentation towards boredom. So, what can be done? Try to strike a balance between sincerity and humor by presenting every detail in an interesting manner and shun away from being too authentic or too casual.
- Neglecting Your Audience: If your spectators can not relate with you, then consider it to be your failure. Hence, ranging from topic selection and script to deliverance, make an effort to engage them at every step. For this, you can raise queries randomly to grab their interest or give them a chance to ask a question in return.
- Imbalance Between Audio & Video: Both the speaker and presentation slides complement each other. Even if one of them is missing, the whole presentation looks out of sync, which is again a negative aspect. Thus, it is suggested to match your vocals with the design of your slides in the best possible way.
- Being Generic: Keeping the entire focus of your presentation on a single topic can be annoying for your addressees. Use a broader perspective to convey your ideologies, while keeping an eye on their anticipations. Thus, being generic is the key!
On the whole, keep a tab on the following three things:
- Purpose of your presentation.
- Know the needs of audience.
- Memorize logistics clearly.
During the planning phase of your presentation, look at it as if you are the audience. This method really works in helping you save your presentation from failing. So, keep the above stated points in your mind and gear up to deliver a striking presentation to leave an ever lasting impression on your audience.