Crafting Effective Comparative Essays: Tips and Techniques
Last updated on August 18th, 2023
Comparative essays allow you to polish your analytical skills and gain detailed insight into the various aspects about the topic of discussion. Generally, a comparative essay is written with either of the two perspectives, as discussed below.
1. Holding a comparison between two views of the same thing
2. Comparing the similarities and differences of two different objects
Whatsoever may be the case, one thing that deserves special attention is how you deliver it. Instead of writing the information casually, you are supposed to make it slightly enjoyable by following a well-structured approach.
As for other quintessential tips, given below is a short summary:
- Being Precise Has its Benefits: No doubt word length matters! But in case of essays on contrasting topics, less is more. So before starting, research well about the related facts and pen down the requisite information. Try to strike a balance between concerned points of both the subjects.
- Starting With Introduction: Introductory paragraph can make or break the impact of your essay. Therefore, begin your essay with a more generalized introduction. You can then move on to the comparison phase. Always maintain a flow in your writing so that the reader can connect with it.
- Taking It a Step Further: Once you’ve mastered the art of the comparative essay, considering translating your thoughts into a visual medium. A well-crafted presentation can augment your written work. For help with crafting an effective presentation, check out this presentation assignment guide.
- Sequence of Paragraphs Matters: Once you have determined the basis of your argument, the next thing to be understood is the structure of essay. Rather than creating a clutter of multiple ideas, one should concentrate on a methodical approach that symbolizes a sequence.
- Conclusion: Well, ending is meant to be the star of the show! It should make the reader think that they have learnt something. For this, you can incorporate different threads of the essay in a unified manner. Also, you can end it up either with alarming facts or with a thought provoking question.
As far as writing style is concerned, use a persuasive language and try to write in active voice because it is fairly easier to understand. Further, just like any other topic; you have to be extremely careful with word selection, usage of phrases, targeted audience and other such similar factors.
The bottom line is, although there are certain basic guidelines for structuring information in an essay but, there is no secret recipe for writing an interesting comparative essay. All you need to do is to know exactly what you want to demonstrate and connect with the readers.